[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Research shows that over 28.9 million adults in the US are diagnosed with sinusitis. It is an infection that occurs when your sinuses or the cavities within your face swell up.
Sinusitis is usually caused by allergies, nasal growths, and respiratory tract infections. Common symptoms include nasal stuffiness, frontal headaches, and discolored nasal charges. Sinusitis typically lasts less than 10 days. Chronic sinusitis, on the other hand, can take up to 8 weeks or longer.
If you wish to get rid of the pain and congestion caused by sinusitis, consider Balloon Sinuplasty, which is a safe and minimally invasive surgical procedure. Following ths technique, surgeons at Peak ENT use a balloon to expand and ease obstructed airways while retaining as much of their normal structures as possible.
If you’re a candidate for balloon sinuplasty, here’s what to expect before and after the surgery:
- Your doctor may advise you to temporarily hold off on painkillers (Aspirin, NSAIDs like Advil), vitamin E, and herbal supplements like ginseng and gingko biloba. These drugs and herbs can increase chances of bleeding during and after the procedure. If you are taking any prescription blood thinners, advise your doctor ahead of time.
- Aside from its harmful effects on your lungs, smoking prior to your surgery can lead to tissue scarring and slower healing.
- Abstain from beer, wine, or liquor for 2 weeks prior to your surgery. Alcohol intake can dilate your blood vessels which can cause swelling and bleeding.
- As with other surgical procedures, it’s wise not to eat or drink anything 8-12 hours before your surgery. This is to ensure that the anesthesia is carried out safely and without complications.
Recovery and After-care
- Don’t skip the pain medications and rinsing methods prescribed by your doctor. In most cases, doctors would recommend you to take mild non-aspirin pain relievers like Tylenol.
- Blowing your nose should be avoided for at least 12 hours after your surgery. If congestion becomes too bothersome, sniff gently and spit into a tissue.
- Sleep with your upper body elevated to ease off any congestion which should fade a few days after the surgery.
- Apply an icepack over the nose and cheeks to prevent nasal bleeding. Tilt your head up when sitting upright and breathe gently through your nose. Snorting the blood through your nose can result to more bleeding.
- Relax and avoid vigorous physical activity for 1-2 weeks to ensure faster healing.
A Trusted Solution for Sinuses
Although balloon sinuplasty is a relatively new technology, many sinus patients consider it as a quick and effective treatment with minimal discomfort. This in-office procedure is performed under local anesthesia and comes with faster recovery time. It is also generally more affordable compared to traditional surgeries done in an operating room.
Peak ENT provides comprehensive treatment and surgical procedures for ear, nose, and throat conditions. Our clinical staff in Denver includes board-certified and fellowship trained otolaryngologists and surgeons. We use advanced technology to address your sinus problems and improve your overall well-being.
Contact us today or visit any of our branches to find the best medical treatment for you.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]